|NEWS & EVENTS >|
Speech by Dr David K.M. Chew
Executive Chairman, Stratech Systems Limited
at the CAAS – Stratech iFerret™ Contract Signing Ceremony 19 February 2008
Mr Lim Kim Choon,
As part of this contract, Stratech will customise the system to Changi Airport’s requirements, which includes system maintenance and upgrades.
Members of the Media
Ladies and gentlemen:
1. Good afternoon. It gives me great pleasure to be here at the signing ceremony between CAAS and Stratech Systems, for the deployment of iFerretTM at Changi Airport.
2. Runway maintenance is a critical component of airport operations, and indeed crucial to passenger safety. The tragic crash of the Concorde in the year 2000 is a poignant reminder of the seriousness of foreign objects on runways which can lead to foreign object damage, or FOD, to aircraft. In addition, the global aerospace industry estimates that US$4 billion is lost annually to incidents arising from FOD.
3. It is clear that there can be no compromise where runway maintenance and operations is concerned. However, current inspection methods are both costly and disruptive. This is where Stratech has again leveraged on its expertise in providing cutting edge technologies that efficiently address these operational challenges and developed another state-of-the-art system to solve the future needs of society.
4. iFerretTM is the world’s first intelligent-Vision based runway surveillance system, capable of real-time, automated foreign object detection. Currently, inspections for foreign objects are done by physically visiting the runway. Such inspections disrupt airport operations.
5. With iFerretTM, air traffic control and ground operations control staff can be alerted automatically should foreign objects be detected. The object image would be presented visually on a display at the air traffic control tower, for example, for the FOD identified to be assessed without having to make a physical visit. Immediate action can then be taken to clear the runway, to ensure the safety of and minimise disruption to airport operations.
6. The iFerretTM is just one example of how we leverage on our expertise in providing intelligent Vision based technologies and intelligent Transport Systems. For almost two decades, we have been providing cutting-edge technologies to Governments and the aerospace, defence, homeland security, financial service, healthcare, (air, land and sea) transportation industries.
7. Stratech is recognized as a leader in innovation and technology and is extremely entrepreneurial, developing and implementing advanced technology solutions that achieve significant business transformation and competitive advantage for our clients.
8. Over the years, we have grown to become a recognised leader in innovation, both locally and overseas. Our technologies have been deployed in Singapore, the Asia Pacific (including Australia and the Middle East), the US, Europe and recently we received our first contract from South America. Our Intelligent Vision technologies have been recognized to the extent that we have been awarded four sole source contracts by three different US Government Departments.
9. Now, we have secured another major customer in CAAS. To have iFerretTM deployed at our very own Changi Airport, one of the world’s best airports, is testament to its performance and reliability.
10. We are honoured indeed that Changi Airport’s continued success will be in no small part “powered by Stratech”.
11. Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to declare that iFerret™ is now cleared for take off.
About Stratech Systems Limited (“Stratech”)
Stratech Systems Limited (“Stratech”) was listed on the Main Board of the Singapore Exchange in 2000. It is principally engaged in the design, development, integration, implementation, maintenance and project management of information technology and advanced technology systems. The Group delivers large-scale complex, real-time, mission critical systems in the areas of intelligent Vision, intelligent Transport Systems and e-Systems for governments and businesses.
In 2006, Stratech won the Research and Development prize for its intelligent Airfield/Runway Surveillance and Foreign Object and Debris (FOD) Detection System at the Asia Pacific ICT Awards. Stratech’s iFerret™ (a world’s first system to utilise intelligent Vision to detect and classify foreign object, with the ability to pinpoint the location of the foreign objects) was awarded The Enterprise Challenge (TEC) initiative by the Prime Minister’s Office of Singapore in 2006.
Founded in 1989, the Group has established an impressive track record serving industries such as aerospace and defence, financial services, government, healthcare, homeland security and transportation (air, sea and land). The Group develops and implements advanced technology solutions that achieve significant business transformation and competitive advantage for its clients.
For more information, please visit www.stratechsystems.com